Tuesday, December 28, 2004

GOLDWYNISM

GOLDWYNISM (GOLD-wi-niz-em) noun.
A humorous statement or phrase resulting from the use of incongruous or contradictory words, situations, idioms, etc.

After Samuel Goldwyn (1879-1974), Polish-born US film producer, known for such remarks. Born Schmuel Gelbfisz, he changed his name to Samuel Goldfish after he went to UK, and to Samuel Goldwyn after moving to the US. Here are some examples of Goldwynisms:

o Include me out.
o When I want your opinion I will give it to you.
o I'll give you a definite maybe.
o If I could drop dead right now, I would be the happiest man alive.
o Anybody who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined.
o I may not always be right, but I am never wrong.
o In two words im-possible.
[And then our favorite: "Don't even ignore him."]
http://wordsmith.org

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home